Friday 30 March 2012

Just so you know... We're not professional

Disclosure. We are not professionals. We do know enough to know that how we baffled (baffled??) in the attic was incorrect. But we did it wrong anyway. Because it was so so so much easier. And possible even. And far less time consuming. And probably just as good. For us anyway. I think it will be good. The thing is, we need to insulate the attic. Because the insulation that is in the attic right now is almost useless. Look down I can see cracks of light shining through from the main floor. Look up and I see sunshine, which means if I sat long enough, I could watch snow, rain, hail and other elements that are supposed to stay outside, inside. Anyway. The baffling (I don't know if I can say that.. maybe I can. I'm going to leave it.) will keep the insulation from going to the sofetting. Which is also not done right, and is at this moment serving no purpose but to look pretty, but we'll fix that. Some day. Like after we're finishing all the mudding and painting and flooring and counter topping and we're moved in and we've seen if the light fixtures look ok and we're actually living in our house. 

 Holes. You can see the main floor.

Our attic before baffeling.

So, Josh crawled in to our ultra dusty attic and laying on his back where the roof hits the ceiling, yes in that claustrophobic space, and stapled in baffeling wrong. And I shone a flashlight at him. And handed him baffles and said things like "you're amazing," "you're manly," "you're really pretty," "are you dead from inhaling this dust yet," "I hate you for making us buy this house that needs baffeling that is impossible to put in correctly in this ridiculously dusty, stupid, dark, small attic," and "thank you for working so hard to make us a beautiful house, I love you" over and over.

But it's done! Yay. Tomorrow is insulation time. Who's excited? I am!!

Foam baffeling. So nice.

Also. We have a new furnace! One that runs. All the time. Well not ALL the time, but whenever the thermometer tells it to! And it's small. And pretty. And we got a humidifier too. So exciting. Also they took the old, bulky, I don't know how they got it through the stairwell let alone lifted it furnace away for us. So amazing. They were really great. I would recommend them to anyone. Them being a company called Design Air. Really nice. They didn't give me one weird look when I showed up unexpected with my baby and watched them put it in. Not that I noticed anyway. Which is really nice of them. 

York. Yay.

Also. I got flooring! Many people know this, but there was really nice bamboo flooring at Costco that was cheap. I think they've basically carried it since they first opened. I'm sure of it. Okay, not really. But I am pretty sure they've had it for the last 5 years. Don't quote me on it, but I really think so. Really really. But they don't anymore. Anymore meaning, since February. Not the Costco here, not the one in Calgary, not the one in Regina. I called. So we were sad. We thought we were going to laminate. Which would have been fine. But not bamboo wonderful. When shabam, what?! That's right, shabam! A Windsor Plywood flier fell on my lap. Not literally, but I was cleaning up all the fliers from the table and there it was. Bamboo flooring. For a decent price. Not $6, or even $4. No friends and readers, they had it for $1.99 a square foot. Which was only .01 cent more than the laminate we were looking at. And it's more beautiful than the Costco version. Lots more. Less red. Oh I'm excited.

Did I mention it's really nice?

*sigh*

 Pretty bamboo flooring.

Many many boxes of beautiful hardwood.

7 comments:

Kendra said...

Your furnace looks EXACTLY like my furnace...down to the humidifier! I also took my baby and watched them install my furnace, but my baby was LOTS younger, and they gave me weird looks. Actually...they were all standing around with things in their ears to control the noise, and one of the guys said to me, "Isn't it too loud for your baby?" I took that to mean they didn't want me there.

Jody said...

Baffling is very important, Ashley, which of course I have learned from my teacher, Mike Holmes. This spring I want Owen to check our attic above the kitchen to check on the state of our insulation. I have a feeling that baffles may need to be installed. Unfortunately, I don't see myself up there with him . . . Poor Owen. No "you're manly" or "I love you". At least not until he's out of there.

Unknown said...

Hahaha! "my teacher, Mike Holmes." I laughed hard and then shared your post with my family. :) And I in no way blame you for not crawling in the attic. I pouted all morning because today is insulation day and I have to go back up there... such an unfortunate prospect.

Unknown said...

Oh no! Haha! Obvious hints hey? They didn't have ear muffs on when I was there, and Danny, the administrative guy (and maybe pr guy) was there entertaining me, with, you know, getting paid and stuff. So maybe that helped.

Florence said...

I'm so proud of you for encouraging Josh while he was up in the attic!! Whew!! Yucky!! At least it's getting done befote it gets too hot up there! LOL Sounds like lots is getting done & I LOVE your bamboo flooring & it's SO exciting & wonderful that the flier the "happened" to land on your lap (so to speak) - maybe the Lord had that little blessing planned for you! :) So happy that worked out when it was something you really wanted in the first place. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Flo for your encouragement always. You're sweet.

jannafaye said...

can't wait to see the beautiful floors!!! bamboo is awesome!! and color is beautiful. attics scare me.