Friday 13 July 2012

My baby got a car...

bed. It's a lot of fun. And super cute. I was a little sad to take down the crib. Just another, all to frequent, moment when I realize my baby boy is growing up. But I think it's good. He actually likes going for naps and bedtime now. He crawls up on it and looks at his books and we snuggle and then he sleeps. Without screaming. It's really nice. No more going to bed sad! For either of us! Wonderful.


This is the week that we decided to start cloth diapering. We thought about doing it when he was born. And again when he was out of his newborn diapers. And then we moved three times within 9 months, and I was so glad we didn't do cloth. I did not need one more load of laundry to do while packing up our little family three time and moving provinces and within cities and renovating houses and living with parents and moving into an almost finished house... you get the picture. Cloth diapering was tempting for two reasons - it's nice on the bank account (after the initial buying them) and it's nice to the  environment.

And then Fabric Land happened. They actually have the cutest POL fabrics of all time from a company called Babyville. Check it. They are adorable. So I broke out the sewing machine and made the plunge. Despite the initiate start up cost (the fabric isn't as super cheap as it is super cute... ) I figure that even if he's potty trained in the next 6 months it will be cheaper that disposable. Also if we eventually have mini-human #2 we will save TONS of monies. The diapers have snaps so they can do quite a few sizes, and lets face it, if the next babe is as big as this babe then I'll only need the two sizes (assuming they're potty trained before they need the biggest size... PLEASE LET THIS BE SO.) Also, I already do laundry 3 times a week. The extra laundry will make an extremely small difference in our lives.

Depending on where you buy the fabric (Walmart vs Fabric Land) and whether you use Velcro or snaps, and whether you get sucked in and buy the adorable applique they have, and if you buy the pre packaged or bulk and whether you do the cute elastic that shows or do a hidden elastic, I'm thinking it costs anywhere from 10-15 dollars per diaper, including the soaker. I could get out the receipts and do an actual total if anyone is interested. 

I'm making diapers that has 'pockets' to simply place the soaker in, as opposed to sewing the soaker into the shell to make an 'all in one'. (There are about 10 different types of diaper patterns they had in the book... let alone the cosmetic variations you can make.) I'm hoping this will allow me to use the shell two or three changes before it needs to be washed (the POL fabric can just be wiped for the most part), as the shell is what costs... the soakers are just flannel and some batting. Simple and cheap.

The first one I made is a little bit sad. But live and learn. The next two are so much cuter.

 #1

 #2 (Hidden elastic) 

#3 Adorable print, right?!

5 comments:

Kendra said...

I LOVE that fabric from fabricland! I was brainstorming to see what else I could make with it...

Unknown said...

In their books they do bib, burp blankets... etc you could do a really nice receiving blanket that you can change your babe on on one side and flannel up the other... If you want pre packages stuff they have it at walmart too for a bit less... (15 vs 26).

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! The owls are the best. And you are so incredibly talented... Wow! Way to go, super mom.

Unknown said...

*blush* And I thought they were pretty adorable. Thank you smart people for designing wonderful fabric!

Anonymous said...

I lovvvvvvvvvvvvve Caed's new bed but he's growing up wayyyyyyyy too fast! :0
Your diapers are adorable and i love that you have chosen enviro friendly diapers - yu're soooooooo talented - well done Ashley!
Love Always
Nana Rox oxoxoxoxoxo