Wednesday 7 May 2014

Basement time!

So, since I've last been here, we finished half our basement! So wonderful! My wonderful, wonderful husband hung the drywall. I semi-helped mud, but he mostly did all that too, and the sanding. He has improved immensely since our main floor renos... practice really is helping! Although I'm certain he still doesn't enjoy it. Since I was very pregnant, my parents and him primed and painted it, and then we had carpet installed. We now have a play room for Caed/an entertainment area (aka. where Josh puts his big tv). 

First off, my parents are the best, because my procrastinator (yet lovely) man I call husband, would NOT have finished painting before the carpet people came. It just wouldn't have happened. And I wasn't supposed to be painting, so they came. And spent two long nights painting after work. Parents are the best. And my sweet Caed didn't help any, as he found a roller with mostly dried white paint and decided to paint over the brown paint that walls had already got painted. Such a dear.

My second point is simply this- carpet is extremely hard to pick. There are a million combinations. High piles, kind of high piles, berber, a million shades of brown, and grey, or you can still get those blues and greens! It is by pure luck that they named a color "puffball" a name we instantly thought was fun. And the color looked as if it just might work. And it does. So thank you, carpet color namer for your fun and creative names, we might still be staring at tiny carpet samples if not for you. (I'm fairly sure it took longer to pick what we wanted than it took the guys to install it. Have I mentioned the crazy amount of choices? I do not have that designer's eye.) 

The carpet keeps it warm and toasty, along with the insulation Joshua added to the walls when we did them. What a wonderful space. Some day we will finish everything!



 Paint is finished! Just in time for the carpet people to come tomorrow!

 Soft stairs.

 Caed "sleeping" on his new soft floors. A bit more cozy than the plywood.



So now Caed's toys are mostly down stairs, just in time for us to fill out main floor with baby items and toys. But I wouldn't get rid of that baby swing for anything. It's a life saver. 


5 comments:

Kendra said...

Looks great! You might have to invite me over for a play date!

Owen and Jody said...

So great for you guys! Way to go, Josh, and the super parents! Enjoy it.

jannafaye said...

looks great! aren't parents the best? mine have painted and done so much in our house, we're so very thankful.

Unknown said...

I hear you are pretty wonderful parents too!

Unknown said...

Killer wonderful. I really shudder to think about what would have happened, aka painting over carpet.