Saturday 16 June 2012

Counters and Backsplash.

We got lots done. Never enough though. But what we did looks gooooooood.

A bathroom fan. Important for stopping mildew and mold. Holmes would be proud. I'm sure of it. It's a pretty cool fan. Well actually the fan has been hooked up for a while, but it didn't have a switch. So I found some instructions and my dads hooked it up for me. You don't just turn it on. And by that I mean you don't just turn it on. When you turn it on you actually get to push a button - 2, 5, 10 or 15 minutes. How lovely. It just turns off after its time is up. Wonderful.

Dad also moved the plug for the microwave. And then Josh put a hole in the wall and we put the microwave up. Yay. A microwave. You don't realize how much you use one until you don't have one. And it's a lot. Heating stuff on or in the stove isn't always as tastey as it would be if it was just warmed up, instead of re-baked or fried. We did get good at not having a microwave. But now I don't have to be good at it anymore.

Next stop drier. 

I like hanging clothes on the line. I really do. But it's been raining a lot. And that means I should have done laundry earlier today, when it finally wasn't raining. But I didn't get it done in time, and now it's 10:00 in the evening and the laundry is still trying to dry out there. Now it's supposed to rain tonight. Blow, wind, blow! We also have clothes hanging all over the kitchen because there wasn't enough room on the line for two loads of clothing. Worst case scenario, it gets wet again. No biggie.

Counters and backsplash! Counters and backsplash! They're in. Almost. Well the counters are!! Yay. And most of the tile! Double yay. Totem only had 117 tiles. I needed 164. Thus, the tile is incomplete. And not grouted, because we need to wait until (1) it sets and (2) we put the rest of it up. But what is in looks great! I was worried about the counters, I'm not going to lie. I wanted them white, white. But the rock we used in mixing up the concrete was grey, and we thought it wouldn't show through. Then Josh grinded (is that really not a word?) it down. And the grey rock did show. I was sad. I thought it looked dirty. And it wasn't white, white. Thus, sad. 

Curtis came over today and Josh and him got the work out of a life time moving it in. Apparently 25.5 x 87 x 1.5 inches of cement is heavy. Really heavy. Really, really heavy. But I called them "muscles" so they got it in. And it looks really good! I'm so happy.


 Ignore the unfinished top row. Remember it was Totem's fault. Kind of looks like a real kitchen, doesn't it?!

 You can see my laundry drying. The cupboard knobs work really well for Caed's clothes. The prefect size.

 I snuck in a picture of Caed and Grandpa going to dig up the ant hill.

 I have under the counter lights (Go Dad!!!) That's what the wires under the cupboard is.

 Josh taking over the tiling while I took pictures.

My counter!!

2 comments:

Florence said...

I LIKE it! The hanging laundry just adds an extra personal touch!! lol I like the idea of the bathroom fan the has a timer - great idea! Love the picture you 'snuck' in of Grandpa & Caed too. :)

Kendra said...

And so how was tiling on a wall versus the floor? Do you like your countertops now, or are you still disappointed? Looks good!